Although I am not a senior yet, I took a tumble that interfered with my life for a while.
Fall prevention has become near and dear to my heart and I would l like to share with you ways to avoid a nasty fall:
- Clean up clutter and spills
- Repair or remove tripping hazards
- Install hand rails or grab bars
- Avoid loose wearing clothing
- Light it right
- Wear proper fitting shoes
- Make sure all your rugs are non-slip and add non-slip decor to your bathroom
Did you know one third of all US seniors fall each year? Half of those falls resulted in that senior having to be hospitalized. The CDC states falls are the number one reason for injury for seniors.
If you follow these simple fall prevention measures you will hopefully reduce your chance of falling whether you are a senior or just unlucky like myself!
Mina Hancock, RN, BSN, CCM