In part two of our Home Safety Series, we’ll focus on making your home safer by focusing on the bedroom, bathroom and other living areas. Our goal with this series is to help seniors reduce the risk of falling in their home environment. By taking a proactive approach to making these simple changes, you can significantly reduce the risk of falling.
The following list are simple solutions that you can implement in your bedroom, bathroom and other living areas:
- Mount grab bars near toilets and on both the inside and outside of your tub and shower.
- Place non-skid strips on surfaces that may get wet (i.e. shower or tub).
- Put night lights and light switches close to your bed and in hallways.
- Remember to turn on night lights.
- Keep a telephone number and list of phone numbers near your bed.
- Arrange your furniture and other objects so they are not in your way when you walk.
- Do not use throw rugs or small area rugs (this is a common cause of preventable falls).
We look forward to providing helpful information to you in coming articles! If you would like more information regarding our services, please contact us by clicking here.
Jeremy T. Painter, LPN